Interview #1 (Radio):
Purpose of
Research:
Key Facts
About Topic: The idea for my documentary is to explore the issues that
relate to the increasing problem of homelessness in the United Kingdom. For my
first interview, I wanted in my documentary I wanted to talk to a student that
has no link to homelessness so that I can get a feel of if homelessness is that
widely known about with my generation. I have chosen to do a radio interview
because I want the voice of the interviewee with facts playing on in the background.
Potential
Issues: The only issue that I would face interviewing this student
is that they have many exams coming up so availability would be very slim. I
would have to talk with the student to make sure that they are free from
school, revision, and other activities in their spare time. Because of this
issue I would need to make sure that I have quick access to the equipment
needed to record the interview and the questions that would be in the
interview.
Areas of
Interest: The location for where I will be conducting my interview
would most likely be at my house, the interviewee is able to get to my house
easily and because it is only a radio interview I won’t need any fancy setting.
Relevant
Matters in Background of Interviewee: The background question that I will
be asking would be ‘what is your name?’ and ‘how old are you?’. Although these
questions won’t be featuring in my documentary through audio form, when the
presenter will introduce the interviewee he will say her name and her age. As
well as when the voice of the interviewee is playing her name and age will
hopefully feature on the screen to remind the audience.
Preparatory
Research:
Previous
Interviews: There is a fantastic documentary that follows a homeless
person on BBC Radio 4, it last for around 30 mins and is just audio. The
presenter did a very excellent job of explaining the setting around them for
the views who are unable to see anything because of it being on the radio. All though
the presenter didn’t ask random people on the street, the radio documentary is
still an excellent example because it covers many of the questions I wanted to
ask.
Here is the transcript to the BBC Radio 4 ‘The Hidden
Homeless’ radio documentary:
Here is the link to the BBC Radio 4 ‘The Hidden Homeless’
radio documentary:
Key Facts
and Dates About the Topic: The key facts that I wanted to make sure I get across
in my documentary is ‘what we will be doing’, ‘how we get our message across’,
and ‘how can people help’. It is important that I get these messages across
because these are the main questions I want to cover in the documentary. I will
be filming my documentary in three days, and editing in two. The three days of
shooting will unfortunately be quite spread out, with the first day of shooting
being location shooting, second day of shooting being interview in studio, and
the final day of shooting the audio interview with the student.
Previous
Activities: The student I have chosen to interview hasn’t had any
previous history in the homeless history, however she has in fact featured in
another one of my projects. The project being my music video for college ‘SHUT
UP AND DANCE’, she was the main actress featured in the music video.
Over Views
on Your Idea: After speaking with my peers, friends, and family members I received
extremely positive feedback. All who I told and asked whether they liked the
idea, all said that they did, and looked forward to seeing it come to life.
They also said that they liked that I was tackling a subject that hasn’t been
talked about and semi-neglected by the government.
Comment
Regarding Interviewee by Others: I also spoke to the same people
about my choice of interviewee. In which they all said that it was a very clever
idea to have a young student give their views on the subject. They liked that I
chose a student to interview because they are the future of our world and liked
that by interviewing one student about the subject it would give an insight
into how much is taught to our generation.
Methods of
Research:
Primary
Research: For my primary research, I decided to again ask my peers,
friends, and family members what questions I should ask my interviewee. I gave
them a list of my questions that I had pre-written and asked whether they were
good enough questions. If they didn’t think one was good, then I would ask for
suggestions on what would be a good question and noted them down.
Secondary
Research: For my secondary research into this interview composed of looking
on the governments website and finding government facts about homelessness that
I could try to implement in to the questions that I ask my interviewee. I also
looked at the BBC Radio 4 ‘The Hidden Homeless’ radio documentary to see what
they cover in their documentary and try and take inspiration and come up with
more questions to ask my interviewee.
Interview #2 (Video):
Purpose of
Research:
Key Facts
About Topic: The idea for my documentary is to explore the issues that
relate to the increasing problem of homelessness in the United Kingdom. For my
second interview, I wanted in my documentary I wanted to talk to the presenter
who would feature in the documentary, this is because he could reflect on what
his thoughts where at the time of filming and his views on the matter. I have
chosen to do a video interview because I wanted the second video we filmed to
be a reflective theme and have the director, presenter, and camera operator
reflect on their opinions and thoughts on the first documentary.
Potential
Issues: The only potential issue that I could possibly face in this interview
would be booking out the studio at West Kent College. At this stage of the
year, many people have production units so booking out the studio would be
tricky because it would most likely be booked out by other people. To make sure
I get the day that I want to film in the studio, I would have to make sure that
I book out the studio a week in advance.
Areas of
Interest: The area that I would like to film like said before is the
West Kent College studio, this is because we have the right equipment in the
studio to be able to quickly and successfully shoot our interview. The studio
has a good backdrop that I would like to use, as well as lighting to get the
right look on camera.
Relevant
Matters in Background of Interviewee: The background question that I will
be asking would be questions about how he was feeling during the time of the
main shoot in Tunbridge Wells town, as well as his views on the homeless. While
he is answer his questions about his feelings at the time and his views on the
homeless we will have secondary footage playing on screen to break up the interview
to make it more interesting.
Preparatory
Research:
Previous
Interviews: An example of what I am trying to achieve I looked at the
ITV show ‘This Morning’ where the presenters Phillip and Holly are sitting on
the sofa and are looking back at their favourite moments of the week. They both
give their favourite moment of the week and discuss why they enjoyed it and
have another laugh about it. Although this hasn’t got anything to do with my
homeless documentary it is a good example of the reflective aspect of the second
video and this interview type.
ITV ‘This Morning’ Video:
Key Facts
and Dates About the Topic: The key facts that I wanted to make sure I get across
in my documentary is ‘what we will be doing’, ‘how we get our message across’,
and ‘how can people help’. It is important that I get these messages across
because these are the main questions I want to cover in the documentary. I will
be filming my documentary in three days, and editing in two. The three days of
shooting will unfortunately be quite spread out, with the first day of shooting
being location shooting, second day of shooting being interview in studio, and
the final day of shooting the audio interview with the student.
Previous
Activities: The presenter that I have chosen like the first interviewee doesn’t
have any link with homelessness, however again has featured in another one of
my projects I have done at college. The unit that the presenter featured in was
my Instructional Video in which he again presented how to use the green screen
in the studio at West Kent College.
Over Views
on Your Idea: After speaking with my peers, friends, and family members I received
extremely positive feedback. All who I told and asked whether they liked the
idea, all said that they did, and looked forward to seeing it come to life.
They also said that they liked that I was tackling a subject that hasn’t been
talked about and semi-neglected by the government.
Comment
Regarding Interviewee by Others: I also spoke to the same people
about my choice of interviewee. They all liked that I would be interviewing the
presenter after the first video, because it would give the viewer a better
insight into the views and feelings of the presenter who experience what had happened.
Methods of
Research:
Primary
Research: For my primary research, I decided to again ask my peers,
friends, and family members what questions I should ask my interviewee. I gave
them a list of my questions that I had pre-written and asked whether they were
good enough questions. If they didn’t think one was good, then I would ask for
suggestions on what would be a good question and noted them down.
Secondary
Research: For my secondary research into this interview composed of looking
on the governments website and finding government facts about homelessness that
I could try to implement in to the questions that I ask my interviewee. I also
looked at the ITV show ‘This Morning’ to see how they portray the reflective
aspect in the segment of their show.
No comments:
Post a Comment